MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Saturday, February 05, 2005

idea: toolbox portfolio

Determine six (?) skills I want them to master. Create a portfolio for each one, showing student's progress; design lesson plans to produce work around each one. Call the skills "tools" and keep the six portfolios in a "toolbox" for each student.

Possible "tools:"
  • analyze primary souirces
  • determine perspective
  • support an argument with evidence
  • understand an author's point
  • etc.


Could divide tools into 3 & 3 - 3 reading skills, 3 writing skills; or, 3 input, 3 output, so I could include different kinds of analysis and production skills.

Rationale: to help students understand why they're doing what they're doing, that they're practicing skills of genuine practical utility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home