MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Kid tasered at Memorial HS???

This is bullshit! I can't believe I didn't hear about this.

The "school safety officer" shot a Black 15-year-old kid whom he was trying to arrest.

Oh, but, oops! The arrest warrant turned out to be a clerical error! Still, the new police chief refuses to apologize!

Here's an article: "Mom Of Teen Shot With Police Taser Disappointed In MPD." (I'll bet she is! Holy cow! Probably just a tad more than "disappointed in"!!!!)

School board member Ruth Robarts wrote a letter to the Wisconsin State Journal in which she (1) suggested that school police be deployed in pairs, or at least that a backup officer be summoned for arrests, since that would reduce the need for employing force at all, and (2) questioned what policies are, or should be, in place to guide police and school officials regarding arresting students:
"I have doubts that we have appropriate policies and procedures in place on the police or the school side. I wonder what justified immediate arrest of this young suspect. Why did the police not arrest him at home? At another location away from school? Contact his mother to ask her to bring him to court? I also wonder what role school officials played or should have played in making a less confrontational arrest possible."

She also asked whether the student's mother had been called, which immediately struck a chord for me--I would be willing to bet that she was not called, and that was SUCH a strong contrast to how this would be handled with a white student.

*sigh*

Since I ultimately want to make this blog public, to solicit comments, I begin arguing in my head about racism here. My imaginary commenter claims that I don't know she wasn't called, yadda yadda. I will say more about this in my next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home