MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Monday, March 14, 2005

current events w/BBC daily news?

I often tape & watch the half-hour early-morning BBC news (well, it's BBC-America). I've been thinking about how to integrate current events into the curriculum, and often I wish the students could see the BBC presentation.*

One idea I had for current events was to have students keep a daily notebook (well, many of my ideas about teaching involve a daily notebook). I thought I would tape the BBC every day, show the first ten minutes (the top headlines and a major story), and have students write questions in their notebooks. Then on Thursday I'd look at the questions, and on Friday I'd pull together a presentation and discussion culled from the week's events, answering the most persistent and repeated questions...

Overall though this seems pretty unworkable. Not enough time and not enough student skills--we'd just run into the perennial problem of i-don't-get-this-shutdown.

On the other hand, I get sick of the classroom being this little bubble with no connection to the outside world at all... what is the solution... there must be some good ideas out there somewhere; I should go look.



*I used to think the BBC was just superior to CNN for some reason, but when I put this proposition to a British friend, she was disgusted; when I was actually in England, I saw why--it turns out that the BBC in situ is just as full of sensationalized crime and celebrity pseudo-drama as CNN; it's actually BBC America specifically that does a good job... I wonder if this is due to its compressed form--a half hour instead of twenty-four--or to some attempt to find a niche audience apart from CNN's audience... any ideas?

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Chris said...

why not have them write those questions, then free-writeanswers/ideas, and after do some research on their quesitons and ideas, then have an open discussion or some kind of informal, rotating presentation time on friday for what they asked/thought/found?

the key to good teaching? make them do all the work. student-centered, remember that -- really. them doing the work means them doing the learning.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger birdfarm said...

sorry, but what *is* that picture??? (on "rie"'s profile, http://www.blogger.com/profile/3547678)

ok, yes, well, what I was going to say is, you are a genius. Wong & Wong also talk about making the students do the work. Apparently, the person doing the work is the person who learns something. Also that is the person who goes home tired at the end of the day. So important to remember this, and to trust the students to be able to deliver.

Like so many teaching things, what this requires is a lot of work *up front.* I would have to take time at the beginning of the year to establish this procedure, show them how to "do some research on their questions," establish guidelines/requirements for the presentations...

but Wong & Wong say, and it makes sense to me, that if you put the time in to establish the procedures in the beginning, the class will run itself once everyone understands everything. I love Wong & Wong, have I mentioned that lately?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home