MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Monday, March 07, 2005

History of Lebanon (& surrounding area)

For anyone who is confused about contemporary events in Lebanon, here are some useful Lebanese history links.

Here is a quick summary on Wikipedia.

And here is another overview by historian Kamal Salibi, much longer, but easy to read and absolutely fascinating. It covers not only Lebanon but all of the former Ottoman lands taken by Britain and France after WWI.

See also the ever-enlightening commentary on the contemporary situation by Lebanese As'ad Abu-Khalil on his blog, "Angry Arab News Service" (e.g.,March 7 - March 5 - March 4 - March 3 - there's a lot on March 3).

I still don't know what's going on, but I feel much more prepared to interpret whatever happens next. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home