MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Saturday, March 12, 2005

documenting public school needs

My mom forwarded me information about Critical Exposure, a project that provides public school students with cameras and other materials, together with training in photojournalism, so students can document the challenges their schools are facing as well as the positive growth and potential they see in their schools.

I don't know any more about it, but it's an interesting concept, potentially empowering depending on how it's handled. I checked out the Critical Exposure website, and from the photo on the home page (the only photo I could find on the site), became somewhat concerned with how race will be used in this photography.



Have you ever noticed how Blackness (and other overt manifestations that are associated with race) are used to represent other things, like poverty or need or loneliness or sadness? What a mind-trip for kids of color...Of course there may be vast differences between how the racial aspects of the subject are seen by the photographer, vs how they are perceived by hundreds of different viewers, vs how they are used by the various entities that are trying to create change using the photographs...

But, why was this photograph (file titled "child4.jpg,"with no name for the child, and--more undermining for a supposedly empowering project--no photo credits) chosen to represent the project? Are we supposed to think this child is poor and lost? pathetic and needy? adorable and "at risk"? innocent and worthy? What is the look on his face supposed to convey? My first instinct when I saw it was to read the look as lost and lonely--"feed me, love me"...

But it could just as easily be, "Huh, what, who said my name?" Look closely and you'll see that he is holding the hand of the adult in front of him--not so "little lost boy," now, is he. Could it be that someone called his name, he turned around to see who it was, and *snap* he became the poster child for "the poor needy children of Baltimore."

Has he seen the website? What does he think it means to have his picture up there? If the events unfolded as I am imagining, I'd be willing to bet that if he asked some white teacher-type why his face is up there, she said, "Cuz you're the handsomest, sweetie," and gave him a hug or a smile or a pat on the head, which left him knowing that she was lying, wondering why she would lie, wondering more than ever why his face is up there, and feeling perhaps that he is being used in some way that he doesn't quite grasp.

I'm probably over-analyzing. On the simplest level, if they are able to create positive change, great. Check out the site and let me know what you think. Contributions to the project can be made on the site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home