MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Monday, March 14, 2005

know the enemy (white supremacist "history")

I came across this while searching for something else (isn't the internet a wonderful place?)... it's a glimpse into the mind of "the enemy," though the Buddhist stuff I've been studying would encourage me not to designate anyone this way.

At first I hesitated even to open the link, as though it would contaminate me somehow, but once I started reading it, I started thinking that I really should be more familiar with the rhetoric and ideas, so that I can spot them when they (inevitably, I have to say with regret) crop up among my students.

It also makes me think more carefully about the link I posted previously--to the list of fallacies. Reading stuff like this "white power" BS can help me refine exactly how those fallacies can be used so perniciously. For example, one of the items in the list of fallacies is that an author may use words with multiple meanings to "prove" a point when actually the arguments are not using the same meaning of the word... the examples given on that page are silly, but the "white history" pages give perfect examples--for example, the idea of "race" or "civilization." I need to think about this more carefully in order to be able to counteract it.

I still feel a bit paranoid so I'm not going to include an actual link; if you want to venture into this territory (and I recommend that you do, under the heading of, as I said, "know thine enemy"), just highlight the web addresses and copy-paste them into your browser.

Here it is, white supremacist take on history...
"March of the Titans - A history of the White Race" - link: http://www.white-history.com
The main thesis is summarzied as follows:
"Most importantly of all, revealed in this work is the one true cause of the rise and fall of the world's greatest empires - that all civilizations rise and fall according to their racial homogeneity and nothing else - a nation can survive wars, defeats, natural catastrophes, but not racial dissolution."


The work includes such chapters as, "Chapter 9: Alpha and Omega - The Rise and Fall of Civilizations" (link: http://www.white-history.com/hwr9.htm), whose main thesis is that "history is a function of race."
An excerpt:

If, however, the society within any particular given area changes its racial makeup - through invasion, immigration or any decline in numbers - then the civilization which that society has produced will disappear with them, to be replaced by a new civilization reflecting the new inhabitants of that territory.

OK, not entirely unreasonable, although a bit simplistic (civilizations don't generally just "disappear"...this is the kind of thinking that results from the ridiculous textbooks used in schools today!)... it's only after this that it starts to get a bit ludicrous...

DISAPPEARANCE OF WHITES LED TO THE DISAPPEARANCE OF THEIR CIVILIZATIONS

Originally created by Proto-Nordics, Alpines and Mediterraneans, and then influenced by waves of Indo-European invaders, the White civilizations in the ancient world, the Near and Middle East all flourished, producing the wonders of the ancient world.

These regions were either invaded or otherwise occupied (through the use of laborers or by immigration, or in rare cases, by conquest) by non-White peoples - Semitic speaking peoples, and in many cases Black peoples.

What happened was that the original White peoples who made up those civilizations vanished, were killed, or were absorbed into other races, and with their disappearance, so their civilizations "fell" in exactly the same way that the Amerind civilization in North America "fell."

Uh, yeah. Not.

For the moment, and since I'm not actually talking to my students (or, current signs indicate, to anybody other than my spouse) I'm just going to file that under "too silly to even address."

It starts to get ugly in other spots, such as Chapter 8, which argues that Egypt's achievements were produced by a white group, which was destroyed by the Arabs and Black inhabitants of Kush--the phrase that reveals the ugliness underneath all this smooth prose and "I'm not a racist, the Chinese are fine as long as they stay in China" bs is:

The existence of these two non-White groupings within Egypt was later to have a major impact on the history of that civilization, and also do much to destroy the "environmental" theory of the origin of civilizations, as all three groups shared the same environment, yet produced very different levels of achievement.

*sigh* Know the enemy, indeed. These ideas are very easy to refute, but at the stage that this writer has reached, it would be impossible. Equipping children to see through and refute such fallacy-based scholarship is an important task for social studies teachers....

And the Buddhism comes into it after all, as I can't help thinking that it's also our task to help them see themselves in harmony with others, not locked in mortal combat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home