MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

other supremacists

As'ad AbuKhalil's poetic commentary on the strife in his native Lebanon:
Find Me a Homeland
I want a homeland with no flags and no national anthems. I want a homeland that has open borders, and requires no entry visas. I want a homeland that does not have maids, and has no "dirty jobs." I want a homeland that does not hate others to feel better about itself. I want a homeland where people do not think that they are better than their neighbors. I want a homeland where people do not mock regional accents. I want a homeland where clerics (of all religions) are assigned more useful jobs. I want a homeland where people demand higher taxes to help others in need. I want a homeland that spends more on arts and public libraries, and nothing on defense. I want a homeland where the most admired are poor and nameless. I want a homeland where men do not call women bad names to stroke their silly "manhoods". I want a homeland with no presidents. I want a homeland that cares more about social justice than about whether this rich person or that rich person made it to that public office. I want a homeland where Larry King is not allowed near a TV station. I want a homeland where charity is more important than wealth, and courage is not defined by traditional standards. I want a homeland where cedars are considered just...trees. Mere trees. I want a homeland where opposition to war is appreciated more than wars. I want a homeland that does not preach, and does not submit to Empire out of fear. Oh, and I would like Milka chocolate (they are hard to find in the US).


I don't agree with every word, but I like the jist of it... I wonder if I were to write something like that, what would I say. Might be an interesting assignment in school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home