MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

cooperative learning: overview (johnson, johnson & holubec)

If you wish, check out my intro to this book, Cooperative Learning in the Classroom, by Johnson, Johnson & Holubec.

This post will lay out a basic overview of the book's instructions for teachers. I have filled in a few details for the part I've already read; I'll fill in the rest as I finish reading the book. I also hope to have separate posts providing more detail for some of the sections, which will be linked from this page when I've finished them.

  1. Pre-instructional decisions
    • select the instructional materials and objectives--be sure the goal is clear (see my Wong & Wong post on objectives!)
    • structure the task according to the five key aspects of cooperative learning:
      1. positive interdependence: a shared goal that makes every group member's individual contribution absolutely indispensible to his/her teammates
      2. individual accountability: everyone is responsible for the material; no one can just "goof off"
      3. face-to-face mutually supportive interaction
      4. interpersonal & small-group skills development
      5. group processing: groups openly discuss their working process and how they can become more effective
          (more on these five key aspects in the future)

    • determine what kind of groups you will have, and assign students to groups
    • arrange the classroom to facilitate cooperation and minimize disruption
    • structure the group interaction, creating and assigning roles to maximize participation and results

  2. Explain the task
    • provide a CLEAR, MEASURABLE goal and make sure the students understand it
    • explain the concepts, principles and strategies that students will need to use to reach the goal
    • relate the new information to the students' prior experience and knowledge as much as possible
    • provide examples or model the work the students will need to do to reach the goal
        I love this--it took me years to figure out how to give directions, and here it all is, written down! I love it but it makes me very frustrated with my teacher ed program!!!

  3. Explain how the cooperation/teamwork should proceed
    • define what it means to "work together"
    • define and teach teamwork skills: in order of increasing difficulty (taught incrementally as students become more adept at cooperative work), this includes skills related to:
      1. forming a group
      2. functioning as a group
      3. learning as a group
      4. pushing each other to a higher level of achievement


      I have to cut this short because I think I'm keeping my partner awake, also because I haven't read much farther, but I'll finish it ASAP


  4. Monitor students working together
  5. Evaluate students' individual and collective work throughout the process, and evaluate/assess the end product
  6. Encourage/require students to evaluate how well their groups are functioning and make plans for improved functioning in the next assignment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home