MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Friday, March 18, 2005

fwd: school news

The following news links were posted on the MAFAAC list. I haven't checked them out. I'm just passing them on; a few comments are footnoted.


Up to date local school information, links, events and ideas: http://www.schoolinfosystem.org

Send your ideas and information: http://www.schoolinfosystem.org/ideas/

Best wishes!
Jim Zellmer



* I'm not reading this now because I'm trying to get back on track with my work, but I hafta say, the last time I saw a student article about the achievement gap, it was a Black student telling other Black students it was (essentially) all their fault. I couldn't help seeing this article because someone cut it out and taped it to the wall about every three feet all over Sherman Middle School. I don't blame the kid--this is the message she gets--but the publisher who didn't include any other points of view, and the teacher(s) who loved this "get out of the doghouse free" card, earn my ire (not that this would concern them at all).
**My first reaction: good. As it is, "strings" is used to segregate--the rich kids who have had private tutors or something like that go into "strings," and everyone else goes into "band." god, there are so many little trap doors like this--and the parents' ways of communicating about it are so subtle and awful, so that they probably convince themselves they aren't doing it! Now, before I seem like the grinch that stole music classes, there's nothing wrong with strings per se, and I generally oppose cutting music and art just on principle--but there are other things going on here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home