MadTeach

MadTeach got its name because I used to teach in Madison, WI, and that used to make me pretty mad...now I teach in a large city... totally different scene... but I'm keeping the name. :-)

Disclaimer: Links to other websites DO NOT imply support for all content or opinions on these sites!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

poverty and richness II

You must learn day by day, year by year to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about—the more you have left when anything happens.
--Ethel Barrymore


The other day, in the middle of trying to teach over the uproar, I had the weirdest little fugue - I suddenly had a vision of no particular place, but a mix of places I have been - Iran, Turkey, Morocco - mostly Iran because it's recent - dust and heat and sun and wide wide sky...

Day 3: Yazd - Jameh MosqueDay 4 - Yazd: Towers of Silence


...with somewhere a whiff of roses and mint, the sound of water - all those pleasures that are all the more delightful for being found in the middle of the desert...

Day 3: takhtsDay 3: hotel gardens


All this washed over me with incredible vividness. In my memory of the classroom scene, I clearly recall myself sitting on the back table, with a couple of students trying to do something at the board and chaos all around, with my mouth open trying desperately to get them to understand something - and just as clearly it seems that the dusty, scented wind lifted my hair for a moment, as i struggled there indoors in the snowbound city...

It was so clear and overpowering that I was disoriented and lost my train of thought... I told them I had lost my train of thought, and started to open my mouth to tell them where I had been, but closed it again.

The all-powerful, live-or-die-by-it No-Child-Left-Behind-mandated standardized test is in 13 days: there is no time for wind that smells of roses and the preciousness of the sound of water in the desert.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger miriam said...

A very powerful post. Thank you.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Mark Beihoffer said...

I concur.

Transitional periods have historically been incredibly grueling for citizens close to the trenches.

I admire your dedication to improving the quality of information you distribute to your "l'il inmates". I hope you don't take the harsh trash talkings that have been batted around personally.

Just remember, words are the yarn that have tangled up this old towne, and each of us is going to have a chance to metamorphosize into a fuzzy bunny and bat that ball o' twine as far as we want to push it.

- little baby potter
a.k.a. ms poster boy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home